How To Garden in Coastal Northern California
How you garden in Humboldt County depends upon the precise spot where you live and its relationship to the ocean, mountains and winds.
This narrow coastal strip of Northern California is very unique and few gardening books include information on this type of climate. The winters are mild and rainy, springs long, cool and moist, summers dry with cool to moderate temperatures.
We share this climate with few places in the world, yet there are many plants that thrive in this coastal plain. The mission of this site is to share local gardening knowledge and to link you to other gardening sites, both local and national.
What's On This Site?
- Simple Steps to a
- Planting and
Maintaining the Hedge
- Building a Multi-barrel Rainwater Collection System
- Barred Rock Chickens
- 5 Secrets to Healthy Roses
- Groundcovers to Clothe and Hold Soil
- Improving and Maintaining Soils on the North Coast
- 6 Steps to an Easy Backyard Orchard
in Humboldt County
- Growing Lettuce All Year!
- Homegrown Tomatoes!
- The Ten Most Useful and Easy-To-Grow Herbs
- Attracting Birds and Butterflies
- Low Maintenance Gardening
- Monthly Gardening Calendar for the North
- Potting Soil Basics